Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sports

Let me talk about Minnesotan and Wisconsinite sports perspectives.  Granted, I left Boston at the end of a decade of pure sports dominance so I do come with much experience in celebrating.

In the past decade, I've witnessed...

6 [SIX] championship parades:
2001 Patriots
2003 Patriots
2004 Patriots
2004 Red Sox
2007 Red Sox
2008 Celtics

• The greatest lefty/righty tandem in baseball in David Ortiz (released by the Twins) and Manny Ramirez.
• The tallest NHL player in history in Zdeno Chára (6'9").
• The wizardry of Pedro Martinez.
• The snow bowl.
• The 2001 Patriots coming out together as a team at the Super Bowl.
• Varitek shoving his glove onto ARod's face, picking him up, and tackling him.
• ARod slapping Bronson Arroyo's ball.
• Kevin Garnett (from the Timberwolves) teaming up with The Truth and Jesus Shuttlesworth to bring a championship home.
• Doug Mientkiewicz (from the Twins) catching the final out from Keith Foulke to end an 86 year World Series drought.
• THREE Super Bowls in 4 years.  Good lord.
[et cetera]

I really could go on and on...but this is a great starting place.

Minnesota fans do love their teams.  AND their players.  But there's such a defeatist mentality when it comes down to it.

Once the Vikings lost a game this season (after starting 6-0 and losing to a then very good Steelers team), I heard ramblings of it being over and that the Packers were going to somehow kick their ass and how Childress this and Favre that.  Even now, Vikings fans tell me they don't know how the Purple will do in the postseason.  Honestly?  Dallas is hot right now but it's an any given Sunday situation and I can see this Sunday's game going either way.  Vikes fans.  Believe.  Show support.  GO TO THE GAMES.  I found it ridiculous that the Minnesota Vikings were still emailing mid-season offering me discounted tickets to games.  It's not even an outdoor stadium!  I can't believe seasons aren't perennially sold out!  I feel like I could get tickets to Sunday's Divisional playoff if I tried!  Boston playoffs?  Not a chance.

I've been to a number of Twins games and people are more interested in the games and prizes that happen in-between innings (Yes, Fenway Faithful.  Other stadiums have giveaways and such to keep people coming.).  Fans aren't the most polite either of the visiting team's fans.  I saw some folks with Cleveland jerseys getting heckled and when the Sox were in town and I donned Sox gear, I got some crap.  Even in Fenway, only Yankees jerseys got booed.  As they should.  And again, games are never sold out.  There's a brand spanking new park opening this April and I have no expectation of the local people showing enough support to keep the franchise thriving.  Note to fans: if you love your players, especially your homegrown players, GO TO THE GAMES.  It's not even about the t-shirts or jerseys or hats or anything.  GO TO GAMES.  On another note, this new stadium is ridiculous.  Was the franchise not aware of what the weather is typically like here in April and May?  No roof?  WHAT?!?!

Timberwolves.  Okay.

The Minnesota Wild.  Good team.  Tough division.  I don't know too many fans, but I don't know what to do with hockey fans.  I'm glad Culver's supports them though.  Culvers, my East Coast brethren, is a sight to behold.  They do butter burgers and custard.  Making McDonald's look like a salad bar, Culver's does make some tasty junk.

Wisconsinites are a bit simpler.  They love Brett Favre.  I can feel the warmth of his presence in every conversation about him.  I'm starting to think that it is possible that his poop doesn't stink.  Two questions.  Is Favre not the oldest looking 40 year old and is he only allowed to wear Wrangler jeans?

Wisconsinites are Packers fans and Packers fans are for real.  They're a through thick-and-thin, owned by the people, for the people, of the people breed that stands by their team.  I respect that.  The cheesehead thing is wild but I can dig it.  It seems like Wisconsinites like the Brewers, but it's still a small market team.  The Bucks.  Okay.

I suppose being outside the capital of Red Sox & Patriot Nation or another big sports market like New York or Chicago, you're gonna see fandom like this any where else.

My wife pitched to me that I could catch Sox games here in MN.  Series is in April.  I'd have to cover myself in thermal if I were to go to the series.

2 comments: