Friday, January 29, 2010

Driving

Not unlike many other states (or all states?), my Massachusetts license was no good here and I had to take the Minnesota Written Test to get my Minnesota driver's license.  Of the maximum I was allowed to get wrong, I got the maximum.  I got eight wrong out of forty questions.  Two of my favorites (not verbatim)...

• When your high beams are on and a car is approaching on the other side, you should turn off your high beams at:
   a) 50 feet
   b) 100 feet
   c) 500 feet
   d) 1500 feet
My answer?  I don't even remember.  Who has such amazing depth perception from their driver's seat under conditions where high beams would be required?!?!

• Under normal driving conditions, how far should you be behind the car in front of you?
   a) 2 seconds
   b) 3 seconds
   c) 4 seconds
   d) 5 seconds
My answer?  Overturned hands, jaw-drop, look around the room like someone stepped on my toe.

Now about the driving...

PEOPLE DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT.  I have found that when I'm on I94W, driving into the cities, when it says Speed Limit: 65mph, that means people are going to drive 65mph.  This rule-following causes traffic, delays, accidents, and any other possible traffic disappointment possible.  Cab drivers talk on their cell phones and swerve lanes (I don't know that they speak English, either) and there no shortage of cars that should not be on the road.

Here's a difference between Massachusetts and Minnesota...

In MA, you need to have your car inspected annually ($29) to make sure it is fit to be on the road.  This is to prevent having cars on the road that could cause an accident.  In MN, you pay an annual fee for updated stickers to be placed on your license place.  I have no idea what these stickers do, but if I'm paying MN for them, they must do something.  It's like 1-3 horsepower more for my vehicle.

Yes, there are more trucks, American-made vehicles, and cars over 3 colors on the road.

Another observation...I may live close to the MN/WI border, but I certainly see my Green Bay Packers stickers or decals than Vikings ones on cars.  WTF?

To close, I feel I need to mention how incredibly confusing a few highways are in Minnesota.


View Larger Map




94 is what goes from East to West through the Twin Cities.  This makes a lot of sense.  If you look carefully, there is 694 and 494 which form a circle around 94 north and south respectively.  Both of these highways can go N, W, S, or E.  You can be on 694N and 694W at the same time...but it's important to know where the hell you are for it to make any sense.  There is also the beauty of 35.  There are two 35s.  The run along the Mississippi River and indicate where it is relative to the river thus making them 35E or 35W.  But both 35E and 35W can run north and south.  So, if you ever visit, do not be alarmed when you hear, "go on 35E North or 35W South.  Messed up.  

1 comment:

  1. Under normal driving conditions, you should be 2 seconds behind the car in front of you.

    ReplyDelete