Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Friendliness

People in the Midwest truly are friendlier.

For one, if I were to go through a McDonald's drive-thru, not only am I greeted warmly and with the kind of energy and positivity found in the Chapter President of any Team Jacob Club, I am also bid farewell with the same enthusiasm.  What a stark contrast from the asian or hispanic I would typically get in Boston where I'd be constantly worried that they'd get my order wrong (This is if I were to actually go through a McDonald's drive-thru, of course).

The other day, I went to a local grocery store near my office to grab some 1% milk and a quick lunch.  I was stopped by nearly every employee and was asked if I was finding everything okay or if there was anything they could help me with.  Some of these employees spoke slower to me than others.  Was I the only minority in this supermarket?  Yes.  Does that take away from the niceness?  Absolutely not.

I had a coupon for a free oil change for being new to the area.  I could end there but I think it's worth mentioning that I had the most charming conversation with the shop owner and his handyman about weather, owning land, maintaining a home, being home for supper...not only did I feel like I was being accepted in this new area, I felt like I was being ushered into a new social club.  I would now refuse an oil change whereupon I did not receive such personal attention.  I mattered.  My car mattered.  And now, if I get another free oil change voucher, I will go back again.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the area. It's great to have you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog concept! Am excited to hear your comparisons of the East and Midwest. J says it's an invasion of his privacy when people ask where he lives--I think it's more because he doesn't know whether he lives north, south, east, or west of Minneapolis. I think I've become a more bitter/curt person after spending time on the east coast. Sometimes I just want to get my milk and go home.

    ReplyDelete