Sunday, March 20, 2011

What's Pho Dinner? Hand Rolls and Pea Pods!

One huge fear I had in moving to Minnesota was the dearth of authentic asian cuisine. Coming from Boston and being raised by good Cantonese parents, I had ample exposure to the best southern Chinese cuisine while experiencing the vast culinary diversities Beantown had to offer.

I wish to give props to:
• Hei La Moon for dim sum
• Peach Farm for best all around Chinese
• East Ocean City for the best Cantonese seafood
• Cafe Mami for the best home-cooking Japanese
• Minado's for the best Japanese value
• Oishii for the best sushi
• Smile Thai for the best Thai
• Pad Thai Cafe for the best Thai runner-up
• Le's for the best Vietnamese

I am happy to say I believe I have found great asian food in the twin cities.

Let's start with Vietnamese. I've noticed in the Twin Cities there is a great abundance of Vietnamese people and food - and I believe I've found the best eats.

1. Quang's in Minneapolis. Excellent all-around Vietnamese food at the right prices. Usually busy on the weekends but worth it. Only problem for me is that I live in Woodbury which is like eastern St. Paul. Which is far.

2. Trieu Chau on University Ave. This place has the best pho broth I've ever had in my life. They claim no MSG and that nutmeg is the secret ingredient. It could be crack cocaine for all I care because I dine there probably once a week. Great sandwiches if you get there in time too.

For Chinese, Peking Garden in Midway is the most authentic I have. My in-laws eat there often and it is no joke. A great chef who makes outstanding Cantonese dishes. Not the cheapest meal you'll eat (attention people who have never had authentic Chinese food...it's not that cheap and it's never a buffet!), but you'll get what you pay for. Honorable mention (and this still surprises me) goes to Pagoda in Dinkytown. They weren't any good in the past but with new fresh from Hong Kong chefs in the kitchen, things got A LOT better. Haven't tried their dim sum yet but I've enjoyed the past three dinners I've eaten there.

For Thai, this is a hike, but Sawatdee in Maple Grove, is excellent. Their curry is homemade and it's the business. Worth the journey. I can't say the same for the Sawatdee in St. Paul.

For Japanese, and I owe this to the Shimotsus who introduced Kristin and myself to it last Sunday, hands down my vote goes to Sakura in Downtown St. Paul. Holy moly, this place is legit. The fish was fresh and the creations were exquisite. Scallop Sashimi with a lemon wedge? YES PLEASE.

Special thanks go to the Paudels who took Kristin and me to Everest on Grand to experience Nepali food. A wonderful cuisine filled with curries, spices, lamb, yak, and more household meats like chicken and beef. Excellent!

It was important for me to write this. I've learned now in 1.5 years living here that while the majority of the cuisine available is of the American variety (which is fine by me) there is diversity in the culinary offerings. I will still tip my hat to Minnesota for some of the best steak and burgers I've ever had in my life.

I'll write more - I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment